Closes: Friday, October 15, 2021
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
- Master’s degree in Counseling, Human Services, Education, or other closely related fields from a regionally accredited college or university.
- 3 years of experience providing learning support services to high-need post-secondary students to include outreach, academic and/or career coaching, and case management.
- Experience using technology including Microsoft Office suite, a relational student information system, e.g. Colleague, Banner, etc.
- Experience with higher education legal requirements particularly related to FERPA.
- Experience developing and implementing instructional programming to promote skill acquisition.
- Experience collecting, analyzing, and acting upon student data.
- Doctoral degree in Counseling, Human Services, Education, or other closely related fields from a regionally accredited college or university.
- Academic coaching certification.
- Greater than 3 years of experience providing support services to high need post-secondary students to include outreach, academic and career coaching, and case management.
- Experience with collaborative and experiential methodologies to improve student learning.
- Proficiency in a second language.
- Experience in student mentoring, tutoring, supplemental instruction, first-year issues, and/or working with students with academic challenges.
- Experience at a community college.
Guilford Technical Community College (GTCC) is currently the fourth largest of N.C. Community College System’s 58 institutions. On our six campuses and through our online offerings, we annually serve approximately 27,500 students, 60% of whom are students of color. We strive to offer programs that provide equitable educational outcomes for all students representing all backgrounds, including, but not limited to, ability, age, gender, race, religion, sexual orientation, and socioeconomic status. At GTCC, we are committed to cultivating a workplace culture of inclusion that welcomes, develops, supports, and empowers employees. We are looking for an exceptional employee, who shares our institutional mission, vision, and values, to join the team as our new Academic Achievement Specialist.
The purpose of the Academic Achievement Specialist is to increase the retention and academic success of students at the college by providing outreach, academic and career coaching, and case management. The selected individual will communicate with students in response to early alerts issued by instructors, identify appropriate intervention strategies, and guide students in the use of those strategies to address challenges. They will plan, direct, and implement programs designed to improve GTCC student retention and success. The Academic Achievement Specialist will identify academic and support service needs, and provide proactive communication and measures for student success. Further, they will maintain current knowledge of academic programs within an assigned division and reviews and analyze student retention and success data. The position works in a team environment and collaborates with units throughout the college to reduce retention challenges and to improve successes of at-risk students. They perform work with considerable independence and assume other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
How to Apply
Job Post Contact