Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College
Asheville, North Carolina 28801
Closes: Thursday, September 12, 2019
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
1. Bachelor’s degree;
2. Two years of full-time or equivalent experience working with international students;
3. Two years of full-time or equivalent experience working with adult learners;
4. One year of full-time or equivalent experience in customer service and/or office administration;
5. Bilingual in Spanish or Russian;
6. Two years of full-time or equivalent experience working with spreadsheets and word processing programs.
1. Experience with Basic Skills/Transitional Studies or College & Career Readiness programs in the NC Community College System;
2. One year of full-time or equivalent experience working with databases;
3. One year of full-time or equivalent teaching experience;
4. Experience with WIOA Title II purpose and requirements, including Educational Functioning Level placements, National Reporting System approved assessment administration, and LEIS forms.
Job Description Summary
Contributes to the success of the English Language Acquisition (ELA) program area by supporting faculty, staff and students and ensuring timely and accurate program record keeping.
Faculty & Staff Support
1. Maintains and updates student records in a timely manner, and meets all associated deadlines.
2. Advises faculty regarding students’ registration status, hours of attendance, and testing.
3. Communicates frequently with Assessment & Retention Specialist, Administrative Assistant, and departmental Coordinators and Faculty to ensure students are properly registered and tested according to established guidelines. Reviews records and work with others to resolve errors quickly and clarify understanding.
4. Monitors attendance data (i.e. Web Attendance software).
5. Assists in the orientation and training of new instructors and staff as requested by the Coordinator or Director.
6. Serves as point of contact in event of Coordinator’s, Administrative Assistant’s, or Greeter’s absence.
7. Supports marketing, recruiting and outreach efforts for ELA and all departmental offerings to the college and general community.
Student Support & Engagement
8. Responds to current and prospective student questions regarding the ELA program, enrollment process, assessment, placement, schedules and other general concerns.
9. Orients new students to the program. Facilitates orientations, enrollment paperwork, pre-testing, class placement and advising. Supports and/or conducts off-site orientations as needed.
10. Conducts student assessments and assesses academic level for all ELA students. Works in conjunction with Data, Assessment & Retention Specialist and Chief Testing Administrator when appropriate.
11. Supports students transitioning to ABE/HSE/ELA Academic track or other pathways to higher education or training.
12. Writes official letters regarding student attendance and progress for outside agencies as needed.
13. Instructs ELA program classes as needed, not to exceed six (6) contact hours per week.
14. Contributes to the College Vision, Mission, Values, and Welcoming College statement.
15. Supports workforce diversity in all its aspects.
16. Performs other duties as assigned.