Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College
Asheville, North Carolina
Closes: Thursday, May 13, 2021
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
Minimum Requirements (Applicant must meet all of the minimum requirements)
1. Must have a minimum of an associate’s degree;
2. Must have three years of full-time or equivalent benefits or leaves administration experience in an organization with at least 100 employees;
3. Must have experience analyzing data and preparing reports.
1. Bachelor’s degree;
2. Related experience in an NC community college or other public higher education institution;
3. Related experience in NC Public Sector;
4. Demonstrated ability to use the Ellucian Colleague system or other information systems;
5. Certification as an Employee Benefits Specialist or Benefits Professional, or other human-resources-related certification;
6. Proficiency in a foreign language such as Spanish, an East Slavic language, and/or American Sign Language.
Job Description Summary
Please Note: This full-time limited position is not guaranteed beyond June 30, 2022.
Job Description Summary
Responsible for administration of employee leaves and benefits. Serves as the primary contact and knowledgeable resource for employees regarding these activities and provides accurate, courteous, efficient, and timely service. Works effectively with
coworkers, and third-party administrators on a regular basis to ensure compliance with legal requirements, plan provisions, and
College policies and procedures. Maintains the highest ethical standards, including confidentiality of employee records.
1. Manages leaves including, but not limited to, ADA, FMLA, LWOP, Paid Parental Leave, Military, and Maternity/Paternity.
Maintains knowledge of all applicable laws, rules, and regulations pertaining to protected leave, such as HIPAA, USERRA, ADA,
2. Administers all leave in compliance with applicable employment laws, federal and state regulations, and the College’s internal policies and procedures. Recommends policy and procedure changes to improve practices and procedures and ensure
compliance with applicable laws.
3. Develops and implements strategies to better manage leaves and updates forms, systems, and processes as needed.
4. Maintains complete and accurate records of leave and accommodation requests in accordance with specified legal requirements and documentation best practices. Ensures that forms are collected, recorded, and properly filed on time and preserves the confidentiality of employee medical documentation and files.
5. Determines employee leave eligibility and communicates with employees regarding their need for leave or accommodations.
6. Maintains reasonable communication with employees on leave in planning for a timely return-to-work; relays communication between employees and their managers during leave, within reason. Oversees the return-to-work process for employees
returning from extended leave.
7. Interprets and disseminates information and communicates effectively and in a prompt manner.
8. Works closely with the Time & Leave Specialist to ensure extended and intermittent leaves are tracked and recorded properly.
9. Handles benefit inquiries and complaints to ensure a quick, equitable, courteous resolution. Maintains reasonable contact with medical providers, benefits providers, third-party administrators, employees, and beneficiaries to facilitate proper and complete utilization of benefits for all employees. Such contact may occur in-person and/or via phone, fax, email, remotely, campus mail, or regular mail.
10. Creates and prepares a wide variety of related communication materials, responds to requests and inquiries timely, and develops and conducts training sessions on leave.
11. Assists the Benefits & Risk Management Coordinator and provides backup coverage and support for the HR Benefits Team.
12. Contributes to the College Vision, Mission, Values, and Welcoming College statement.
13. Supports workforce diversity in all its aspects.
14. Performs other duties as assigned.