Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College
Asheville, North Carolina
Closes: Friday, June 22, 2018
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
1. Bachelor’s degree;
2. One year of experience working in a Student Services department at a postsecondary institution;
3. One year of experience working in a position that provides direct customer service both verbally (by phone or in-person) and in writing.
1. Two years of experience working in a Student Records and Registration, Admissions, Academic Advising, or a related department at a postsecondary institution;
2. Experience using North Carolina Community College System software (Ellucian Colleague);
3. Experience with North Carolina college/university articulation agreements;
4. Proficiency in a foreign language such as Spanish, an East Slavic language, and/or American Sign Language.
Job Description Summary
Evaluates a high volume of transcripts and other official documentation of prior learning for the purpose of awarding curriculum academic credit. Provides administrative support to the Office of Records and Registration.
1. Transfer Credit Evaluation: Evaluates incoming transcripts in preparation for student enrollment, degree planning, and academic advisement. Critically analyzes prior credit earned from U.S. and international colleges and universities, as well as credit earned from military, Advanced Placement (AP), College Level Examination Placement (CLEP), Regional Articulation for Career and Technical Education (RACE), professional licensure/certification, and other forms of prior learning. Uses online research skills to evaluate transcripts and other official documentation to make final determination of course equivalencies. Utilizes online tools to research articulation agreements, course descriptions, and institution accreditation guidelines to make determination of A-B Tech course equivalency. Re-evaluates transcripts for current/continuing students based on student academic program changes and financial aid regulations;
2. Awarding Academic Credit: Accurately awards transfer credit to students after determination of course equivalency and student eligibility, in accordance with A-B Tech policies and procedures. Provides guidance to students, faculty, and staff regarding College policies for awarding academic credit;
3. Customer Service: Provides excellent customer service to prospective and current students, faculty, and staff regarding the transferability and applicability of courses taken at other institutions, as well as academic credit earned for other acceptable forms of prior learning. Provides general guidance to students regarding the impact of transfer credit equivalency on program progress and completion. Regularly coordinates with academic department Chairs and Deans to determine transfer credit equivalencies;
4. Administrative Support: Provides support to the Office of Records and Registration in assisting both students and employees with activities related to class registration, transcript requests, grading and class attendance, graduation processing, etc.;
5. Other duties as assigned.