Closes: Sunday, August 1, 2021
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
- Associate’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration, or related field, and 3 to 5 years of general ledger accounting experience; or any equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Office including Excel and Word.
Under general supervision, an employee in this position has the responsibility for supporting the financial services operation and activities of the Finance / Business Services Department of the College. Duties related to this position focus on performing detail-oriented accounting work involving the classifying, posting, balancing, reconciling and summarizing of financial transactions. Duties assigned may vary according to the specific needs of the Division and/or allocation of workload. This position reports to the Controller.
Essential Job Duties:
- Maintain a system of financial accounting, reporting, and record keeping in accordance to Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and Government Accounting Standards Board (GASB).
- Perform monthly re-occurring journal entries.
- Reconcile outstanding State checks on a monthly basis.
- Reconcile all bank statement accounts, including Satellite Campuses, State, Federal, County, Institutional, and Foundation; including the posting of monthly activity to ensure bank accounts balance to the general ledger.
- Maintain and submit escheat/abandoned property reporting to the NC State Treasurer.
- Review all travel-related authorizations, expenditures, and reimbursement requests, and submit to the Controller for approval.
- Perform monthly reconciliation of payroll, and collaborating with the Payroll Specialist to resolve any discrepancies.
- Review electronic payments received and forward to Student Accounts Assistant Accountant/Cashier for receipting.
- Reconcile procurement card transactions after Procurement Specialist review and prepare check requests.
- Perform monthly journal entries for procurement card transactions as needed.
- Assist Student Accounts & Receivables Accountant with reconciling outstanding Financial Aid checks.
- Process monthly Sales & Use Tax to the NCDOR for the College.
- Assist in the processing of annual 1098 and 1099 tax forms for the College and Foundation.
- Ensure the timely preparation and submission of required Community College System reports.
- Communicate with faculty, staff, and outside contacts to provide financial and accounting information and support as needed.
- Maintain knowledge of internal control requirements.
- Serve as backup to the Payroll Specialist position in carrying out essential payroll processes.
- Perform other duties as assigned, including project and committee work.
- Cross train on other Finance / Business Office functions.
Job Post Contact