Closes: Sunday, December 31, 2023
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited institution in Accounting or Business Administration and 1 year of mid-level accounting work experience; or
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited institution in other fields with completion of 20 hours of college-level coursework in Accounting and 1 year of mid-level accounting work experience; or
- Associate Degree from an accredited institution in Accounting and 3 years of mid-level accounting work experience.
- Intermediate knowledge of Accounting Principles
- Experience with Ellucian Colleague
- Experience in Higher Education
Supports financial operations of the college and/or its component units by applying a working knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), North Carolina Community College System (NCCCS) chart of accounts and Government Accounting Standards Board (GASB). Performs moderately complex accounting work, including preparing and analyzing records and reports, performing general ledger maintenance, preparing internal reports, and balancing and reconciling specific accounts. Works with other departments to recommend corrections of financial transaction posting, as needed
Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepares assigned journal entries , account reconciliations, internal reporting and various other accounting statements and reports; provides interpretation of results as appropriate.
- Interacts with and consults with college administration and component unit account managers to design and maintain effective accounting controls, transactions, processes and procedures. Confers with financial and college account managers in order to explain accounting policy and processes and resolves accounting discrepancies.
- Provides information and responds to department’s inquiries on procedures/requirements relating to determining and establishing appropriate general ledger account creation . Ensures compliance with NCCCS chart of accounts.
- Identifies non-standard accounting transactions through monthly internal reporting and communicates with appropriate parties to correct accounting records.
- Maintains college or component unit accounting procedural documents including updates and historical files related to general ledger maintenance.
- Completes weekly budget pooling utility and makes necessary corrections.
- Ensures assigned duties are performed in accordance with GAAP and GASB standards, state and college or component unit accounting procedures, and appropriate internal controls.
- Prepares internal reporting to be used by internal stakeholders.
- Prepares and processes internal charges for printing and postage departmental expenses across the college.
- Completes annual cross training review in order to serve as back- up for other staff accountants, including positive pay
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Worker Characteristics:
- Knowledge of GAAP and GASB
- Knowledge of and proficiency in using an administrative information system, preferably Ellucian Colleague
- Moderate to advanced computer and excel spreadsheet skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with an emphasis on the ability to communicate financial information
- Ability to communicate effectively and work with individuals from diverse backgrounds
- Excellent customer service skills
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to prioritize multiple assignments, adapting to changing priorities and situations, and follow-through on completion of assignments
Typical office environment, frequently listening to and talking with faculty and other staff members either in person or by telephone; frequently sitting at a desk or workstation using a computer display, keyboard, and mouse.
How to Apply
Job Post Contact