Closes: Saturday, June 4, 2022
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
The Staff Accountant works under the supervision of the Director for Finance. This position is primarily responsible for ensuring timely and accurate payment of all College employees including full-time faculty and staff, part-time faculty and staff, and work study students in addition to ensuring that all payroll activity is in compliance with college policy, state/NCCCS requirements and generally accepted accounting principles.
Why it’s Important
The Blue Ridge team is excited by every opportunity to be creative, innovative, and engaging. We do this by working alongside our Staff and Faculty to ensure we provide a modern, technologically advanced institution for the community. We are here to support our Students to ensure they reach their highest potential. Our team engages with the community to ensure that we are consistently meeting standards and then rising above them. Guiding students along their educational journey is our calling and we are looking for like-minded teammates to help us serve our community. Whether a student is entering the workforce for the first time, entering a new profession, or just expanding their knowledge, we are here to provide the necessary tools to accomplish all their goals. Working together, no elevation is too high, and no summit is unreachable.
What You'll be Doing
- Process monthly payroll, and coordinate and communicate procedural requirements for payroll processing.
- Prepare and submit various quarterly and annual reports to include but not limited to the NC Department of Revenue, Internal Revenue Service and Orbit Retirement System.
- Maintain all payroll general ledger accounts and prepare necessary journal and budget entries.
- Assist in preparing job duty related sections of annual financial statements (compensated absences report, payroll accruals and payroll analytics).
- Prepare accurate and timely bank reconciliations and month end reports on a monthly basis.
- Prepare complex reports involving assigned accounts and/or funds ensuring compliance with all applicable statutory, regulatory, and/or College requirements. Reporting includes monthly revenue and expense reporting to NCCCS and periodic capital reimbursement requests to NCCCS.
- This position is responsible for assisting in the maintenance of accurate and complete sub- and general ledgers in order to ensure resulting reports and financial statements are compliant with generally accepted accounting principles and College policies.
- Answer inquiries and provide information concerning policies and procedures or account status to vendors, students, faculty, and/or staff in a professional and courteous manner.
- Ensure compliance and confidentiality with all policies and procedures of the College, NC Community College System, and applicable State and Federal agencies.
- May enter approved general ledger accounts in accounting module.
- May enter journal and budget entries in accounting module.
- Maintain the technical competencies necessary to the job function.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
A Bachelor’s degree in accounting or a closely related field from an accredited institution is preferred. An Associate’s degree in accounting or a closely related field from an accredited institution is required.
A Bachelor’s degree and three (3) years of work experience in a college or university environment performing professional accounting work preferred. Or, An Associate’s degree in accounting or a closely related field from an accredited institution and five (5) years of work experience performing professional accounting work required.
Skills and the Know-How
Proven diplomatic communication and written communication skills and a commitment to safety. Possess strong personal and professional integrity. Demonstrated proficiency using Microsoft Office; specifically Word, Intermediate to Advanced Excel, database systems, email, web, and other computer applications associated with the position.
- Professional maturity for working independently with minimum supervision.
- The skill sets for providing positive collaboration and creating team solutions.
- Analytical skills and a range of technical abilities requiring sound judgment in courses of action.
The ability to perform all duties associated with the position including, but not limited to lifting, prolonged standing, sitting, bending, stooping, and operating or performing work with associated tools and machines.
Blue Ridge is an Equal Employment Opportunity Institution
How to Apply
Job Post Contact