Closes: Monday, July 29, 2019
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
Bachelor’s Degree from a regionally accredited institution in Accounting or related field and 1 year of general accounting work experience; a Bachelor’s Degree from a regionally accredited institution in other fields and completion of 20 hours of college-level coursework in accounting may be considered.
Staff Accountant position will be located on the Central Campus.
The Payroll Department at Central Piedmont Community College is a department from the Financial Services unit. Payroll handles all payrolls related (including processing Part-time & Full-time payrolls, deductions and tax withholding, etc.) to the college. The Payroll Department collaborates with all College divisions, staff and services in support of the Financial Services Unit's initiatives. We are seeking an individual who is self-motivated, able to work independently as well as part of a team to fill the role of Staff Accountant. This position performs a variety of moderately complex and technical payroll and accounting tasks related to preparing reports, analyzing, maintaining, and reviewing payroll activities while assisting management to resolve issues or provide training to payroll staff.
With general direction, performs moderately complex accounting work which includes preparing, analyzing, maintaining and reviewing payroll general ledger transactions.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
1. Prepares monthly standard general journal entries, account reconciliations, cost reports and various other accounting statements and reports; provides interpretation of results.
2. Interacts and consults with college administration and component unit account managers to design and maintain effective accounting controls, processes and procedures and provides training as needed.
3. Verifies college and Payroll source documents for accuracy, completeness, authorization and coding, as well as proper application of fees, refunds, collections, and discounts in order to verify general ledger balances.
4. Researches and resolves non-standard accounting and payroll transactions, and independently initiates appropriate corrections into accounting records.
5. Works with internal partners, payroll staff and system office on implementation of upgrades to Colleague/Ellucian and new software as well as identifying system problems or risks/liabilities.
6. Monitors and analyzes bank account balances to determine appropriate actions and avoid unnecessary fees or penalties.
7. Research items relating to accounting treatment, tax issues and IRS regulations as needed.
8. Ensures assigned duties are performed in accordance with established college standards including but not limited to appropriate internal controls.
9. Gathers, analyzes, and summarizes financial information; prepares and submits/processes assigned reports/tasks (such as ORBIT reports, Payroll process, Workers Compensation Audit process, periodic required forms/reports due to government agencies, etc.)
10. Performs assigned reconciliations related to payroll (such as reconciling benefit withholding to statements, etc.) and makes necessary corrections.
11. Serves as primary contact for payroll inquires related to employee's Pay Advices (such as taxes, deductions, payroll codes, etc.), payroll tax filing and reconciliation (such as 1095-C Processor, etc.), and payroll tax exceptions including foreign nationals, students, out-of-state employees and other related payroll taxes.
12. May serve as Web ambassador for the department and assists with testing new System Batches related to Payroll (such as annual raise, position changes, benefits rate changes, etc.)
13. Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Characteristics
· Excellent customer service skills including the ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with other staff members and the college community
· Knowledge of and proficiency in using an administrative information system, preferably Ellucian
· Strong Analytical skills
· Ability to exercise good judgment in applying and interpreting policies, procedures and regulations
· Ability to teach / train others in a one-on–one and group settings
· Ability to learn, understand, and use various software products including but not limited to the college’s financial information system (Colleague / Ellucian)
· Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, with intermediate to advanced Excel skills
· Strong organizational skills with the ability to prioritize multiple assignments, adapting to changing priorities and situations, and follow-through on completion of assignments
How to Apply
Job Post Contact