Closes: Wednesday, October 9, 2019
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
Associate's degree from a regionally accredited institution
Work experience in customer service within an office or other professional environment
Ability to work effectively with others in a team
Ability to anticipate and respond appropriately to change
Strong computer skills; competence in use of MS Office
Excellent oral and written communication skills
Familiarity with and appreciation for the mission of a comprehensive community college
Effectiveness in the following College organizational competencies:
Translating College purpose, values, and vision into organizational action
Collaborating and facilitating
Creating and innovating
Anticipating and responding to change
Providing vision and leadership
Assessment of student learning
Engagement and assessment of successful student retention models
Experience as an administrative assistant in higher education setting
The Student Affairs Specialist, provides confidential administrative and technical support to the Vice President, Student Affairs, coordinates office work flow and is responsible for using exceptional analytical and service skills to assist students, faculty, staff and external constituents. Working within institutional guidelines, state and federal laws and student affairs policies, the Specialist provides support functions to the Student Affairs Division. May be assigned responsibility for decisions in the absence of the Vice President, Student Affairs in matters where procedures and policies are not well known and established.
The position reports directly to the Vice President, Student Affairs and has the following responsibilities:
- Provides administrative and technical support to the Vice President, the Dean, Enrollment Services, the Dean Student Engagement and Completion and the Director, Behavioral & Counseling Services.
- Maintains the appointment calendar, establishes priorities and prepares all necessary information and support of the professional commitments of the Vice President, Student Affairs.
- Serves as the liaison and primary Student Affairs point of contact for students, faculty, staff and the community at large.
- Cross-train with various departments within Student Affairs to assist in the delivery of operations and services as needed.
- Sorts and distributes mail; maintains files, office machines and supplies; processes purchase requests, personal services contracts, invoices and travel forms; generates and distributes reports; and processes staff leave reports.
- Maintains confidentiality to sensitive information and keeps account of student complaints, disciplinary records, program assessment documents and other student inquiry contacts.
- Maintains sensitivity, understanding and respect for a diverse academic environment, inclusive of students, faculty and staff of varying social, economic, ideological and ethnic backgrounds.
- Maintains accurate and current budget information for the Student Affairs division and conducts the monthly reconciliation of various Student Affairs budgets with the business office.
- Coordinates, edits and proofs Student Affairs sections of the college catalogue and acts as the Student Affairs point of contact for Acalog (the on-line college catalog).
- Assists in the creation, maintenance and distribution of communications, including electronic notifications to students.
- Identifies and recommends improvements for administrative procedures and/or makes evaluative judgments in implementing changes as appropriate.
- Facilitates the exchange of information from the Vice President and/or all Student Affairs meetings and ensures the timely distribution of all meeting notes and highlights.
- Understands and abides by FERPA regulations regarding disclosure of confidential student information and maintains a record of other mandatory federal and state reporting and disclosure requirements.
- Manages the Student Affairs storage space and assists with the planning and implementation of division events including but not limited to professional development experiences.
- Develops and coordinates a Student Affairs Orientation for new employees to the division.
- Supports the mission, vision, and values of the College.
- Serves on college committees, councils and task forces and attends division and College meetings and events as appropriate.
- Performs other tasks as assigned that support and advance the College and student success.