Closes: Saturday, October 24, 2020
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
Required: Master’s Degree in Counseling, Disabilities, Special Education, or related field. Two years of experience in the field
Preferred: at least three years’ experience in the field
Statement of Primary Purpose
Provide direction and support for the college’s efforts to improve the persistence and success of students with disabilities. This position has comprehensive college responsibility for maintaining ADA and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act which includes classroom and student life activity college accommodations as well as input (when appropriate) in structural/physical design. The position has complete responsibility in designing educational support plans to satisfy ADA and Section 504 higher education and disability law requirements. This position has secondary compliance responsibilities for Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act.
Full-time, Exempt, Professional
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
• Create and maintain a comprehensive student disability office for the college.
• Deliver high-quality and sensitive services to students with disabilities ~ Create Educational Support Plans.
• Maintain a student database to include student documentation, needs and services provided.
•Interpret a variety of regulations, policies and procedures concerning disability law and implement appropriate policies and services for the college.
• Create a student referral process which outlines available services.
• Provide semester training and guidance for college instructors and staff regarding teaching techniques and classroom modifications.
• Purchase resource materials for campus and student use - includes assistive technology.
• Work collaboratively with community-based partner organizations: Independent Living, Services for the Blind, Vocational Rehabilitation.
• Maintain an environment of confidentiality and respect
• Create annual budget, monitor expenses.
• Work with the Jackson and Macon County Early College High Schools in defining reasonable accommodations and creating success plans for students where needed.
• Create marketing materials for the office, maintain office website.
• Follow NCCCS guidelines for Colleague system coding.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities
Serve as a member on college committees.
Other duties as assigned by the Dean of Students
Required: Master’s Degree in Counseling, Disabilities, Special Education, or related field. Two years of experience in the field. Preferred: at least three years’ experience in the field
Knowledge and Skills
Experience with creating and interpreting Educational Support Plans at the community college or university level; Experience assisting individuals with disabilities and/or academic challenges.
Working Conditions and Environment
Travel for training. Regular visits to all SCC campus locations. Peak times of each semester will require longer working hours
General office equipment: fax, copier, printer, computer, related assistive technologies
This position description covers the most essential functions and duties associated with this position. Other duties may be assigned by the President or appropriate supervisory personnel. The College reserves the right to alter duties, responsibilities, conditions, working hours, and job title as necessary.
How to Apply
Job Post Contact