Closes: Friday, August 13, 2021
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
- Bachelor’s degree in Education, Higher Education, Counseling, Social Work or related field.
- Work experience in a secondary and/or post-secondary educational institution in the areas of instruction, admissions, assessment, and/or advisement to include work-study, graduate assistant experience, and other related work as a college student.
- Work experience with a diverse student population.
- Ability to communicate effectively in both oral and written formats.
- Ability to carry out institutional effectiveness activities and participate in the life of the college (i.e., serve on committees, advise, participate in activities).
- Commitment to the community college “open door” philosophy and the comprehensive community college concept.
- Willingness to work in the day, evening, on weekends and at unconventional times.
- Master’s degree in Education, Higher Education, Counseling, Social Work or related field.
- Experience in a secondary and/or post-secondary educational institution in the areas of instruction, admissions, assessment, and/or advisement to include work-study, graduate assistant experience, and other related work as a college student.
- Experience working with high school students.
- Experience with academic advising at a college level.
- Experience in a community college setting.
- Experience with data collecting.
- Experience managing a project.
Under the supervision of the Dean of Student Services, the Student Services Advisor works cooperatively with SCC faculty and staff to perform or cause to be performed the following:
- Provide student centered, excellent customer service, welcoming students in person and through telephone and email.
- Maintain current knowledge of enrollment matters for traditional and non-traditional students, as well as College and Career Promise students and Early College High School students.
- Assist students in completing the admissions process, which may include placement assessment administration, interpretation of placement assessment scores, course advisement and registration.
- Provide academic and career counseling for new and returning students.
- Adhere to and enforce state and federal guidelines.
- Monitor student progress and implement intervention strategies, as appropriate.
- Provide a confidential atmosphere for student interactions and records.
- Maintain student records through filing, retrieval, retention, storage, compilation, coding, updating, and destruction.
- Maintain current knowledge of ADA requirements, and assists students under ADA Services in the process of requesting, documenting and receiving reasonable accommodations.
- Maintains working knowledge of Department of Veterans Affairs educational programs and assists students to access benefit.
- Superior ability to follow academic policies and procedures of SCC, the North Carolina Community College system, and partner institutions.
- Assist in the recruitment of students to include the implementation of special projects.
- Attend appropriate professional meetings on and off campus.
- Work with faculty, administration, staff, and students to guarantee the successful implementation of the QEP.
- Foster a collaborative environment for the QEP Implementation Team to monitor the progress and assessments related to the Key Performance Indicators outlined in the QEP.
- Assure that professional development needed for the QEP is completed by faculty and staff.
- Collect and analyze the data collection and assessments for the QEP.
- Manage the QEP budget in compliance with all SCC policies, procedures, and procedures.
- Develop and deliver reports and presentations that clearly communicate the QEP information to a wide variety of internal and external audiences.
- Provide oversight and updates to the campus community regarding the QEP progress.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Dean of Student Services.
How to Apply
The successful candidate must begin work by September 1, 2021. Starting salary will be commensurate with qualifications, experience, and labor market. Excellent references from previous employers must be furnished upon request.
A completed Southeastern Community College application (located on the SCC website), a resume, letter of interest addressing the requirements and educational transcripts (unofficial copies of transcripts will be sufficient for the screening process, but official copies must be submitted prior to employment) must be submitted to the college Human Resources Office in order for applicants to be considered for this position. Initial review of application will be August 13, 2021. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Applicants should submit all documents as requested on the SCC website. Inquiries should be directed to the Human Resources Office, Southeastern Community College, P.O. Box 151, Whiteville, NC 28472. Telephone (910) 788-6310 or (910) 788-6206. www.sccnc.edu
An Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Job Post Contact