Haywood Community College
185 Freedlander Dr.
Clyde, NC 28721
Closes: Friday, December 7, 2018
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
Associate Degree from a regionally accredited institution; experience with word processing, spreadsheets, and presentation software; work experience in the education field. Excellent communication skills.
Associate Degree in Business or Office Administration, Computer Information Technology, or College Transfer; previous experience working in an NC Community College; experience in a fast paced office environment working with diverse groups of people.
The primary purpose is to provide administrative and clerical assistance to the Student Services Department. This involves management of the front desk in the 1500 building, including answering calls for the switchboard, routing requests to the appropriate Student Services staff, maintaining files, schedule meetings, recording minutes and ordering supplies. Maintain Student Discipline records and Student Insurance claims.
- Effectively greet walk-in traffic in the 1500 building with customer service
- Serve as college switchboard operator in a professional, courteous manner and ensure that callers receive accurate information and directs calls appropriately
- Maintain and organize records (including contracts, PO's, meeting minutes, inventory, letters and other paperwork)
- Maintain high integrity and confidentiality of information.
- Process the request for official and unofficial transcripts in Colleague
- Assisting students with printing class schedules, looking up advisors, and other information in Colleague
- Helping students register for Continuing Education classes
- Referring students to the appropriate staff/employees on campus to assist their needs
- Coordinating the photo ID and card pass processes for students, including creating a backup schedule as needed
- Scheduling the reservation and use of the student services conference room
- Serving as a backup for contacting students who submit an interest ticket prior to applying
- Ensure the student services department, file room, and offices are secure upon leaving on a daily basis
- Manage the Discipline Records process, completing Discipline records, electronic files, and history files.
- Follow Federal, State, and Institutional guidelines processing and maintaining Discipline Records.
- Update and Modify Maxient Database which includes but is not limited to; creation/deleting user accounts, updating letters and incident reporting forms on the HCC website.
- Coordinate meetings for the division under the direction of the Vice President of Student Services, take minutes for meetings.
- Serve as an executive assistant for leadership within the department, including managing calendars, processing travel forms, assisting with P-Card reconciliations, and taking minutes in departmental meetings
- Maintain Housing List for students. Post on HCC Web site.
- Assist and serve as back-up for student events with the Director of Student Life and Wellness
- Assist in a backup role with campus tours, recruiting events, and other campus activities as needed
- Assist with the development and maintenance of Student Services web site.
- Assist Business Office with annual Inventory tracking and scanning in student services.
- Miscellaneous tasks: assist with registration, bulk mailings, graduation, and planned student activities; Maintain professional behavior in accordance with professional code of conduct and ethics. Maintain regular and consistent attendance, personal appearance, and punctuality.
- Work harmoniously with students, the public, the community, and co-workers.
- May be required to operate a college owned vehicle for the completion of assigned duty.
- Serve on appropriate committees and teams as assigned.
- Comply with the college's policies and procedures.
- Working hours include a 40 hour work week, Monday through Friday with hours that may vary slightly especially during busy enrollment periods which are typically at the beginning of a semester.
- Perform other duties as assigned
Active NC Driver's License required if position requires the operation of college vehicle as part of duties. Satisfactory Motor Vehicle Background check required.
Must be able to remain stationary at a desk for extended periods of time; Some standing; Some walking; Frequently communicates with students, potential students, faculty, staff and general public regarding inquiries and must be able to exchange knowledgeable information in these situations; Repetitive motion from computer/keyboard/switchboard usage.
Work is performed in a fast paced office environment. Work pressure may exist due to combination of high call volume and face to face office inquiries
None anticipated in the normal business of the college.
Personal Protective Equipment
The college may from time to time provide safety training that includes the use of PPE equipment that may protect the user against the potential for health or safety risks at work.
How to Apply
To Apply Submit:
- Official Haywood Community College employment application online found at www.haywood.edu, click on the HCC Jobs tab then select position applying for.
- Application must be complete for consideration- do not reference resume. Unofficial transcripts will be accepted for the application process. Most unofficial transcripts can be downloaded from college/university websites. Official transcripts of all secondary education must be submitted to Human Resources within 10 days of offer of employment.
- References may not be current HCC employee. Must provide 3 professional references with email addresses.
- College screening committee is responsible for application review, interviews, and recommends the final candidate to the college president.
- HCC is a tobacco free campus
HCC is an Equal Employment Opportunity Institution.
The position description covers the most essential functions and duties associated with this position. Other duties may be assigned by the President or appropriate supervisory personnel. The College reserves the right to alter duties, responsibilities, conditions, working hours, and job title as necessary.