Closes: Tuesday, April 30, 2019
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
- Bachelor’s degree in Education, Higher Education, Counseling, Social Work, or related field.
- Work experience in a secondary and/or post-secondary educational institution in the areas of instruction, admissions, assessment, and/or advisement to include work-study, graduate assistant experience, and other related work as a college student.
- Work experience with a diverse student population.
- Ability to communicate effectively in both oral and written formats.
- Ability to carry out institutional effectiveness activities and participate in the life of the college (i.e. serve on committees, advise, participate in activities).
- Commitment to the community college "open door" philosophy and the comprehensive community college concept.
- Willingness to conduct activities related to outreach and articulation from/to public schools and universities.
- Willingness to work in the day, evening, on weekends, at unconventional times.
- Master’s degree in Education, Higher Education, Counseling, Social Work, or related field.
- Experience in a secondary and/or post-secondary educational institution in the areas of instruction, admissions, assessment, and/or advisement.
- Experience working with high school students.
- Experience with academic advising at the college level.
- Experience in a community college setting.
- Experience with Ellucian software and/or data entry software
The Student Services Specialists work cooperatively with SCC faculty and staff in the following areas:
- Provide student-centered, excellent customer service, welcoming students in person and through telephone and email.
- Maintain current knowledge of enrollment matters for traditional and non-traditional students, as well as College and Career Promise students and Early College High School students.
- Assist students in completing the admissions process, which may include placement assessment administration, interpretation of placement assessment scores, course advisement and registration.
- Provide a confidential atmosphere for student interactions and records.
- Assist in maintaining student records through filing, retrieval, retention, storage, compilation, coding, updating, and destruction.
- Maintain current knowledge of ADA requirements, and assists students under Disability Services in the process of requesting, documenting and receiving reasonable accommodations.
- Maintains knowledge of Department of Veterans Affairs educational programs and assists students to access benefit.
- Superior ability to follow academic policies and procedures of SCC, the North Carolina Community College system, and partner institutions.
- Participate in outreach and assist in the implementation of special events and projects.
- Participate in community activities.
- Participate in professional developmental activities on and off-campus.
- Represent SCC to high schools, community agencies, other community colleges and universities.
- Scan and file documents, including test scores and other documents used in Student Services.
- Provide clerical support, as needed, to Student Services staff.
- Perform other duties, as assigned.
How to Apply
A completed Southeastern Community College application (located on the SCC website), a resume, letter of interest addressing the requirements and educational transcripts (unofficial copies of transcripts will be sufficient for the screening process, but official copies must be submitted prior to employment) must be submitted to the college Human Resources Office in order for applicants to be considered for this position. This position is open until filled.
Applicants should send all documents and inquiries to the Human Resources Office, Southeastern Community College, P.O. Box 151, Whiteville, NC 28472. Telephone (910) 642-7141, extension 246. www.sccnc.edu
An Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
Job Post Contact