Closes: Thursday, August 31, 2017
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
- Associate’s degree from a regionally accredited institution.
- Experience interacting with database programs.
- Superior ability to read, follow and direct others in following academic policies and procedures of Southeastern Community College, the North Carolina Community College system and partner institutions.
- High level of general computer proficiency.
- High level of interpersonal skills and ability to work with diverse groups of people in both oral and written formats.
- Ability to carry out institutional effectiveness activities and participate in the life of the college (i.e. serve on committees, do advisement, participate in activities)
- Commitment to the community college "open door" philosophy and the comprehensive community college concept
- Desire to participate in professional development activities.
- Desire to participate in community service activities.
- Willingness to conduct activities related to recruitment and articulation from/to public schools and universities.
- Willingness to work in the day, evening, on weekends, at unconventional times or via distance learning (i.e., interactive TV, telecourse, Internet) as necessary.
- Bachelor’s degree in Education, Higher Education, Counseling, Social Work, or related field.
- Work experience in a secondary and/or post-secondary educational institution in the areas of admissions, assessment, and/or advisement.
- Experience working with high school students
- Experience with academic advising at the college level.
- Experience in a community college setting
- Experience with Ellucian software and/or data entry software
- Work experience with a diverse student population
The new student academic advisors work cooperatively with SCC faculty and staff to perform or cause to be performed the following:
- Provide student centered, excellent customer service, welcoming students in person and through telephone and email.
- Maintain current knowledge of enrollment matters for traditional and non-traditional students, as well as College and Career Promise students and Early College High School students.
- Assist students in completing the admissions process, which may include placement assessment administration, interpretation of placement assessment scores, course advisement and registration.
- Provide a confidential atmosphere for student interactions and records.
- Assist in maintaining student records through filing, retrieval, retention, storage, compilation, coding, updating, and destruction.
- Maintain current knowledge of ADA requirements, and assists students under ADA Services in the process of requesting, documenting and receiving reasonable accommodations.
- Maintains working knowledge of Department of Veterans Affairs educational programs and assists students to access benefit.
- Assist in the recruitment of students.
- Assist in outreach, including high school students.
- Assist outreach team members in implementation of special projects.
- Attend appropriate professional meetings on and off campus.
- Participate in professional developmental activities.
- Represent Southeastern Community College to high schools, community agencies, other community colleges and universities.
- Scan and file documents including test scores and other forms used in the Student Services.
- Provide clerical support, as needed, to Student Services staff.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
How to Apply
The starting date for the positions is negotiable. Salary is dependent upon qualifications, experience, and labor market. Excellent references from previous employers must be furnished upon request.
A completed Southeastern Community College application (located on the SCC website), a resume, letter of interest addressing the requirements and educational transcripts (unofficial copies of transcripts will be sufficient for the screening process, but official copies must be submitted prior to employment) must be submitted to the college Human Resources Office in order for applicants to be considered for this position. Initial review of applications will begin on August 31, 2017 and will continue until the position is filled.
Applicants should send all documents and inquiries to the Human Resources Office, Southeastern Community College, P.O. Box 151, Whiteville, NC 28472. Telephone (910) 642-7141, extension 246. www.sccnc.edu
An Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
Job Post Contact