Mayland Community College has three campus locations in Mitchell, Avery, and Yancey counties. We are located in the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Western NC. This position will operate from the Main Campus in Spruce Pine, NC.
Closes: Sunday, December 9, 2018
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
Experience in a related student services area.
Master's Degree in Counseling, Social Work, Education, or related field.
Experience in the community college system.
Serves to support the mission of the college by actively recruiting, admitting, advising, and offering on-going support to students from their initial interest to degree completion. We strive to offer an individualized, inclusive, student-centered approach to Student Services through continued support and connecting students with a variety of support services to ensure academic success. The Student Success Coordinator will provide oversight of the Student Success Advisors and their efforts.
PRIMARY DUTIES INCLUDE:
- Provide administrative oversight for Student Success staff, including the functions of admissions, early advising, high school advising, retention efforts, and the applicable budgets.
- Supervise of two Student Success Advisors serving adult students and four Student Success Advisors serving the four area high schools.
- Manages the creation of admissions materials and processes, including special admission to the ADN, PN, and Advanced Placement Nursing programs.
- Provide oversight of placement testing.
- Coordinate the on-line New Student Orientation and CCP Orientations.
- Provide oversight of the advising of all new students for the first year of enrollment with the purpose of providing additional support and guidance.
- Serve as support for student registration when faculty advisors cannot be reached.
- Provide oversight of retention plan carried out by the Student Success Advisors, including student contacts (letters, emails, phone calls, meetings). Making changes as needed to meet the needs of the students.
- Provide oversight of early advising, CCP advising, and Pre- Nursing advising. Making changes as needed to meet the changing needs of the students.
- Manage the Early Alert System and assign alerts to Student Success Advisors.
- Maintain current information on on-campus and community resources for purpose of referral and to decimate this information to Student Services.
- Assist a small caseload of students, serving as a Student Success Advisor, including:
- Completing a comprehensive intake, discussing placement, providing basic financial aid information, and make appropriate referrals.
- Advise and register new students for the first year of enrollment.
- Counsel students who are dropping classes or changing maj
- Provide a series of student contacts including, but not limited to, a first week contact, a second week contact, a four week contact, and an eight (mid-term contact).
- Identify students from advising caseload who need to be monitored and supported more closely.
- Plan and lead recruitment activities throughout the year to promote the college and its program.
- Initiate meetings with program coordinators to receive annual updates; including transfer agreements with public and private institutions.
- Coordinate the phone calls to all prospective students to facilitate admissions process.
- Participate in student engagement events that aid in retention.
- Participate in planning of registration, graduation, and enrollment management efforts.
- Provide support during the curriculum commencement ceremony including assisting with set up and execution of the event.
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge through reading professional publications and attending workshops and conferences as appropriate.
- Provide input and present ideas for marketing efforts and publications, which may include creating, designing, proofing, and printing materials.
- Maintain cross-training with Student Success Advisors and other Student Services staff, including providing coverage at the Student Services window when the Administrative Assistant is absent.
- Serve on various college committees.
- Other duties as assigned.
How to Apply
- Visit www.mayland.edu;
- From the red Quick Links bar choose Employment Opportunities and complete the online application.
- Contact HR at 828-766-1272 if you need assistance or have questions.
- MCC is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Job Post Contact
Mayland Community College