Student Success & Retention Specialist/Coordinator of Student Life
1011 Page Street Troy, NC 27371
Closes: Friday, March 31, 2023
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
Associates degree from an accredited college or university required. Degree in Counseling, Human Services, Social Work, or related field required. . Verbal and written communication skills are essential. Accuracy in maintaining records and providing reports is essential.
The Student Success and Retention Specialist/Coordinator of Student Life position requires the ability to perceive relationships, to conceptualize, and to apply concepts across a range of duties. Work is generally done under established guidelines and under the direction of a supervisor, but the position does require independent judgment and thoughtful decision-making, especially in the role of overseeing learning communities and tutoring networks. Confidentiality is a must.
Bachelor’s degree preferred; 1-2 years of experience with the North Carolina Community College System preferred. Proficiency with Word and Excel preferred
Reports to: Director of Admissions and Retention
The Student Success and Retention Specialist assists with the promotion of a positive and successful learning experience for students in an effort to increase student retention, success, and completion. The Specialist is expected to be thoroughly familiar with the college and its programs and services and with curriculum admission and enrollment processes. The Specialist will serve as a go-to resource for students at MCC. The Specialist works to counsel, motivate, assess student needs, and goals, and interests.
- Work with Director of Admissions and Retention and faculty in regards to retention initiatives for the College
- Assist in the planning and development of a comprehensive student success and retention plan for the College.
- Serve as administrator of the Early Alert system, preparation and implementation of intervention plans for at-risk students, assigning students to Success Coach in software, collection and maintenance of data and documentation, and reporting.
- Assist in training new Aviso users.
- Provide proactive and individualized success coaching to a student caseload facilitated by an early alert/advising system.
- Oversee the assignment of at-risk students to selected staff for outreach and guidance.
- Identify and provide proactive outreach to at-risk students connecting them to intentional intervention and student support activities.
- Work with Director to design high-tech, high-touch supports utilizing Aviso.
- Train a caseload of students to effectively communicate with faculty and student services and become better connected to resources and support services such as financial aid, career services, disability services, and community resources.
- Assist in the planning and implementation of new student orientation.
- Help students with Blackboard, email, self-service, Aviso application, IT help desk, and password reset.
- Monitor student educational progress and provides information about college academic and personal resources as necessary.
- Oversee a caseload of students through constant contact throughout the semester to ensure satisfactory academic progress.
- Responds to early alerts from faculty with outreach to students struggling in classes, offering assistance, and making referrals to college resources in an effort to promote student retention.
- Contact students not logging into BB, not completing assignments, not attending class, or low course performance through phone calls, texts, emails and/or face to face interactions.
- Provide students and classes with Success Tips (stress management, time management, how to study, how to test, etc.)
- Maintain a high level of knowledge of College information, organization, opportunities, and policies.
- Manage and administer the Career Coach Program and software.
- Coordinate a well-rounded student activities program to include overseeing Student Government Association (SGA) and club activities.
- Serve as liaison between members of the Student Government Association and College Administration.
- Coordinate the selection process, student leadership training, and annual activities for the Student Ambassador program.
- Develop and administer the Student Ambassador and SGA budgets.
- Serve as back-up to College Admissions Counselor/Recruiter; assist in campus tours, admissions questions, campus/program information, community events, and college/high school visits.
- Assist with new student advising as needed.
- Perform other job-related duties and projects as assigned in support of the College’s mission, core values and goals.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Montgomery Community College provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
Job Post Contact
Director of Human Resources
Montgomery Community College