Closes: Friday, October 30, 2020
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
1. Bachelor’s Degree in Higher Education, Counseling, Human Services, or a related field required.
2. One to three years relevant professional experience working in a TRiO federal program or similar program with low income and first generation students and students with disabilities.
3. Experience in providing college academic advising services, financial aid information and developing full academic assessments for students from disadvantaged backgrounds.
4. Can effectively communicate with people from varied backgrounds both individually and in groups.
5. Experience in planning and executing events to promote cultural awareness and college visits.
6. Experience related to improving persistence rates for first generation, low income and students with disabilities.
7. Commitment to the goals of the project.
8. Demonstrated excellent oral and written communication skills.
9. Ability to exercise discretion and judgement in handling confidential material.
Under the direction of the SSS Coordinator, the SSS Director and the Dean of Student Services, the SSS Advisor is responsible for the day-to-day facilitation of SSS services which serves 140 individuals from disadvantaged backgrounds.
Essential Responsibilities/ Duties:
1. Provide support for an assigned caseload of SSS participants in the areas of academic advising, life skills development, student success development, career planning, financial literacy and scholarship assistance, and transfer advising.
2. Assess participant needs and develop individualized student success plans.
3. Monitor student’s grades, grade point averages and progress toward graduation.
4. Refer SSS participants to other service providers on campus such as Academic Success Center, Financial Aid, Registrar, Counseling Services, Disability Services, etc.
5. Maintain detailed and accurate records of student contacts and assist in updating and maintaining participant files as required by federal regulations.
6. Assist in the development and implementation of project services under the direction of the SSS Coordinator and Director.
7. Recruit eligible participants and obtain documentation to verify program eligibility.
8. Employ best practices and success strategies in creating, implementing, and assessing academic workshops, activities, and events for SSS participants.
9. Keep current with trends and knowledge in the area of student success programs.
10. Advocate for first generation, low income, and students with disabilities.
11. Ability to work a flexible schedule.
12. Commit to being part of a high functioning team that promotes a positive, respectful workplace and welcoming environment for students.
13. Perform other duties as assigned by the Coordinator and Director.
How to Apply
Job Post Contact
Western Piedmont Community College