See position description
Closes: Monday, May 3, 2021
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
- Associate's degree in related field, AND
- One year of customer service experience, OR
- Equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered
Required knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Strong communication, both written and verbal
- Great active listening skills
- Exceptional interpersonal and rapport building skills
- A patient and empathetic attitude
- Strong time management and organizational skills
- Adaptability and flexibility
- Comfortable working in fast-paced environments
- Computer literacy
- Previous customer service experience in a similar environment.
At Central Carolina Community College, we create transformative lifelong learning opportunities! We expect all employees to find ways to remove barriers to student success and provide all students a pathway to achievable dreams. Our employees are charged to recognize the challenges we face and to respond to them with empathy, understanding, and a willingness to help.
The Student Support Specialist will serve as the initial contact for general student inquiries via phone and other communication methods; answering basic students questions; and providing excellent customer services while connecting them to the appropriate resources.
The college will hire three (3) Student Service Specialists through this announcement to serve in each of the three service counties: Lee, Chatham and Harnett. These positions are time-limited through April 30, 2022. It is funded through the Coronavirus Response and Relief Supplemental Appropriations Act (CRRSAA) Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund (HEERF) II and is subject to the availability of federal funding.
Diversity Policy: Central Carolina Community College believes the college experience is greatly enriched through diversity; therefore, the college encourages diversity of thought within the student body and staff. Furthermore, the college seeks to promote awareness of diversity and the respect for all individuals, and the college pledges to adhere to this mission in its relationship with the community.
- Maintain a working knowledge of basic Admissions, Financial Aid, and Registrar processes including:
- Familiarity with curriculum and continuing education programs offered by the college.
- Information about common Registrar’s forms including, Program/Pathway Changes, Student Data Correction Changes, Tuition waiver forms, and Enrollment verification requests.
- Financial aid eligibility, application procedures, aid programs, and aid eligibility.
- Take student calls and chats and provide accurate, satisfactory answers to their queries and concerns;
- De-escalate situations involving dissatisfied students, offering patient assistance and support;
- Guide students through troubleshooting, navigating the College site or contacting other departments;
- Collaborate with other College staff to improve customer service;
- Manage large amounts of inbound and outbound calls in a timely manner;
- Identify escalating priority issues and reporting to the appropriate department;
- Routing inbound calls to the appropriate resources;
- Follow up with students to ensure their needs are met;
- Record details of comments, inquiries, complaints, and actions taken;
- Complete call notes as necessary and update them in the AVISO;
- Act as a liaison between various departments, offices to resolve conflict, expedite processing, and access information.