Haywood Community College, 185 Freedlander Dr, Clyde, NC 28721
- Instructional (Faculty)
Closes: Tuesday, August 13, 2019
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
Associate degree or Diploma in Cosmetology. Must possess a current license from the North Carolina State Board of Cosmetology (NCSBC) as a cosmetologist. Demonstrate an understanding of commitment to open-access community college philosophy, diversity issues and instructional technology.
Skill requirement: The ability to communicate effectively in both written and verbal forms. Must possess the skills necessary to effectively demonstrate cosmetology techniques to students.
Previous experience in post-secondary teaching and a background in the community college system.
This position posting creates a pool of candidates for consideration when part time employment is available. Applicants are reviewed when they apply and hiring supervisors are notified of all qualified applicants. Applicants are notified if they have been selected to complete a hire process only if a job is available to be filled for class instruction. Only qualified, credentialed applicants will be considered.
The Cosmetology Instructional Assistant assists the instructor in supervising, teaching and assisting with students in labs or clinic settings who are performing clinical performances on manikins and clients in the salon and substitutes for the instructor who may be absent.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
- Responsible for teaching and assisting the lead instructor in Cosmetology courses.
- Maintenance of clinical area, supervising students and clinical operations, documentation of records, working with faculty and clients in a clinical setting.
- Provide instruction, public service and those forms of research which promote and enhance the college's commitment to excellence in instruction and which supports the current needs of the students and faculty; maintaining professional competence; maintaining office hours; and participating in professional development activities. Instructional Assistants are responsible to the Cosmetology program manager. The relationship of the instructional assistant to the student is one of leader, teacher, advisor and facilitator of learning.
- Maintaining professional competence
- Maintain annually updated course syllabi and provide each student with a written statement of course requirements at the beginning of the semester including texts, course content and competencies and evaluation.
- Prepare course materials; use appropriate teaching techniques including delivering lectures, leading discussions and conducting laboratory demonstrations; and perform other activities, which are related to and meet the requirements of the courses.
- Conduct evaluations of student performance and assign grades on the basis of such evaluations.
- Maintain records of student attendance and grades according to college and state policy and procedure.
- Responsible for administering student surveys in classes as prescribed by College procedure.
- Maintain professional skills and subject expertise through continual study and research in discipline and through involvement in professional organizations.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as required.
- Work cooperatively with faculty, staff, students, and our learning community
- Promote and support HCC's mission, vision, and values and promote and support coworkers in the most positive manner.
How to Apply
To Apply Submit:
- Official Haywood Community College employment application online found at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/haywoodedu
- Application must be complete for consideration - do not reference resume. Unofficial transcripts must be included for the application process. Most unofficial transcripts can be downloaded from college/university websites. Official transcripts of all secondary education must be submitted to Human Resources within 10 days of any offer of employment.
- References may not be current HCC employee. Must provide three professional references with email addresses. At least one reference must be a current or previous supervisor.
- College screening committee is responsible for application review, interviews, and recommends the final candidate to the college president.
- HCC is a tobacco free campus
HCC is an Equal Employment Opportunity Institution.