133 James Sprunt Drive Kenansville, NC 28349
Closes: Tuesday, January 3, 2023
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
QUALIFICATIONS: Education, Experience, Skills, and Abilities
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and abilities required to satisfactorily perform the essential duties and responsibilities.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Technology skills and ability to teach others.
Proficiently operate a computer and related software.
Use active listening skills.
Ability to maintain confidentiality at all times.
Skill in managing executive calendars.
Skill in organizing, planning, and coordinating meetings and travel arrangements.
Proven knowledge and skill in using advanced features of Microsoft Word, Excel, and Google Docs.
Ability to show initiative and self-direction.
Ability to communicate effectively through speech and writing.
Ability to identify, communicate, and analyze problems.
Ability to take ownership and utilize constructive feedback.
Must be punctual, professional, and ethically conduct oneself.
Ability to plan and prioritize tasks.
Ability to work respectfully within a team environment.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE: Any combination of education and experience demonstrates possession of the requisite knowledge, skill, and abilities.
Required: Bachelor's degree. Ability to communicate effectively with special populations required. Knowledge of career development, career awareness, and college admissions.
populations. Wide-range of computer technology skills. Ability to communicate effectively with participants, supporting agencies, community constituents, and target area high schools.
Preferred: Bilingual; Career Readiness Certificate (CRC)
Preferred: Some experience working with low-income, minority, and disadvantaged populations.
Some experience with students in a community college setting.
Some experience in academic counseling, educational support, or career development services to students.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here represent those that must be met by an employee to perform the essential functions of this job successfully. Reasonable accommodations may be made to assist individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit. The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms, and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to focus. May require travel.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here represent those employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to assist individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in indoor conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
This position description covers the essential functions and duties associated with this position. Other duties may be assigned by the President or appropriate supervisor personnel. The College reserves the right to alter duties, responsibilities, conditions, working hours, and job title as necessary.
NOTICE OF NON-DISCRIMINATION
James Sprunt Community College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The College prohibits discrimination against any person (including staff, faculty or student body) on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, religion, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, genetic information, or age.
If you need accommodations, please contact 910-296-2400.
HIRING SALARY RANGE
MINIMUM HIRING SALARY: $32,880.00 annually
MAXIMUM HIRING SALARY: Depends on qualifications
The Success Coach will provide advising, early invention, and support to minority males and College & Career Readiness students. This position will interact with high school administrators, academic and career technical education coordinators, teachers, school counselors, and staff to provide career/college/job information for high school students to increase minority male enrollment. The Student Success Coach will work with students to explore career options, develop career plans, and investigate career pathway options at James Sprunt Community College (JSCC). Serve as the point of contact for minority males and ensure a successful transition of College & Career Readiness students into the appropriate curriculum or short-term training programs at JSCC. This position will report to the Associate Vice President of Student Services.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
This list is meant to be representative, not exhaustive. Incumbents may not perform all the duties listed while in other cases related duties may also be assigned. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities the ability to perform the essential functions.
- Promote a positive and successful learning experience for minority males and College & Career Readiness students.
- Serve as the advisor for the Spartan Men of Distinction program.
- Assist minority males and College & Career Readiness students with setting goals and identifying, planning for, and overcoming potential obstacles in academic and career planning.
- Teach ACA courses
- Develop rapport and trust with students to support successful goal completion.
- Monitor student progress and conduct advising sessions with students regularly.
- Assist students and instructors with issues that arise, which impact academic goals, persistence, and attendance.
- Monitor Aviso Early Alert System to provide proactive support to at-risk minority male students.
- Collect, compile, analyze, and document records and reports.
- Monitor student assessment scores and attendance while maintaining advising logs to track contact hours, issues, and advising sessions' outcomes for College & Career Readiness students.
- Provide workshops and professional services to participants in leadership, career planning, secondary/postsecondary educational information, and financial aid to meet the students' needs.
- Coordinate student activities related to cultural awareness, study skills, reading, writing, goal-setting, oral skills, and academic skills.
- Participate in special field trips, special events, banquets, other activities, etc. which could occur during weekends and evenings. Overnight travel may be required.
- Attend staff meetings and internal in-service training as scheduled.
- Acquire computer/technology competencies as appropriate to the position.
- Maintain security of personal computer access.
- Promote the College mission, values, and vision.
- Assist the College Recruiter with visits to public, private, charter schools, local businesses, and community events to inform potential students of programs JSCC offers.
- Perform other professional or job-related duties as assigned.
- Serve on college committees as directed by the supervisor.