Closes: Friday, April 30, 2021
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
- Completion of at least 4 semesters (60 credits) in college with a minimum GPA of 2.5. (Math, Science, Education, and Social Work majors preferred, but not required.)
- At least one year of work or volunteer experience with high school students in an educational setting required.
- Work experience in a youth camp setting.
- Work or volunteer experience with first-generation students and students from low-income families.
- Preference for candidates who have succeeded in overcoming barriers similar to those confronting the program's target population (i.e. candidates from first-generation or low-income backgrounds).
At Central Carolina Community College, we create transformative lifelong learning opportunities! We expect all employees to find ways to remove barriers to student success and provide all students a pathway to achievable dreams. Our employees are charged to recognize the challenges we face and to respond to them with empathy, understanding, and a willingness to help.
Central Carolina Community College’s Upward Bound programs serve approximately 180 low-income, future first-generation high school students from Harnett and Lee County Schools with the goal of increasing the rate at which participants complete secondary education and enroll in and graduate from institutions of postsecondary education. Services provided by Upward Bound include: tutoring; college tours; SAT/ACT preparation and fee waivers; career exploration; summer residential programs at NC State University; a summer internship program; assistance completing college admissions, financial aid, and scholarship applications; and the opportunity to take free college courses. Services are provided approximately once a month on Saturdays during the school year, and for six weeks during the summer. Once enrolled, students stay in the program until high school graduation. The program is offered at no cost to participants.
Central Carolina Community College is home to six (6) U.S. Department of Education federally funded TRiO Programs, including Student Support Services, Student Support Services - STEM & Health Sciences, Upward Bound-Harnett County, Upward Bound-Lee County, Upward Bound Math & Science, and Veterans Upward Bound.
Summer Counselors are responsible for providing supervision of approximately 30 high school students during an academic, pre-college summer program. Summer Counselors serve as role models, mentors and tutors; coordinate daily activities; assist with special events; travel with students on field trips, college visits, and a cultural enrichment trip; and enforce the rules and regulations of the program.
Dates of employment: June 14-August 14, 2021
Stipend: $2400 plus lunch daily
Diversity Policy: Central Carolina Community College believes the college experience is greatly enriched through diversity; therefore, the college encourages diversity of thought within the student body and staff. Furthermore, the college seeks to promote awareness of diversity and the respect for all individuals, and the college pledges to adhere to this mission in its relationship with the community.
- Supervise approximately 30 Upward Bound during a daily summer program Monday through Friday from 7:30 AM to 5:00 PM
- Accompany students to classes, meals, and workshops each day
- Assist in the coordination and facilitation of daily activities
- Support strong student engagement in the program by demonstrating enthusiasm and offering positive motivation for students
- Maintain accurate records of attendance and services
- Meet regularly with permanent staff to review programming, student progress, and discuss any problems
- Serve as a role model, mentor, and tutor
- Assist with special events and travel with students on field trips, college visits, and a cultural enrichment trip
- Enforce the rules and regulations of the Upward Bound program