Campbell University, Buies Creek, NC
Closes: Saturday, April 11, 2020
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
- Completion of at least 4 semesters in college (60 credits) with a minimum GPA of 2.5. (Math, Science, Education, and Social Work majors preferred, but not required.)
- At least one year of work or volunteer experience with high school students in an educational setting.
- Work experience in a youth camp setting.
- Work or volunteer experience with first-generation students and students from low-income families.
- Preference for candidates who have succeeded in overcoming barriers similar to those confronting the program's target population (i.e. candidates from first-generation or low-income backgrounds).
Summer Counselors are responsible for providing supervision of approximately 45 high school students during an academic, pre-college summer program. Summer Counselors serve as role models, mentors and tutors; coordinate daily activities; assist with special events; travel with students on field trips, college visits, and a cultural enrichment trip; and enforce the rules and regulations of the program.
Central Carolina Community College's Upward Bound programs serve approximately 180 low-income, future first-generation high school students from Harnett and Lee County Schools with the goal of increasing the rate at which participants complete secondary education and enroll in and graduate from institutions of postsecondary education. Services provided by Upward Bound include: tutoring; college tours; SAT/ACT preparation and fee waivers; career exploration; summer residential programs at Campbell University; a summer internship program; assistance completing college admissions, financial aid, and scholarship applications; and the opportunity to take free college courses. Services are provided approximately once a month on Saturdays during the school year, and for six weeks during the summer. Once enrolled, students stay in the program until high school graduation. The program is offered at no cost to participants.
Central Carolina Community College is home to six (6) U.S. Department of Education federally-funded TRiO Programs, including Student Support Services, Student Support Services - STEM & Health Sciences, Upward Bound-Harnett County, Upward Bound-Lee County, Upward Bound Math & Science, and Veterans Upward Bound.
Stipend: $3,000 plus meals and housing (7 weeks, June 15-August 2)
Four positions are available and open until filled.