Closes: Tuesday, June 30, 2020
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
- Bachelor's degree in accounting from a regionally accredited institution required.
- Minimum of five years of work experience in accounting required.
- Experience using spreadsheet software (i.e. Excel) and experience in the use of word processing software (i.e., MS Word) required.
- Minimum of five years of work experience in accounts payable, general ledger, and bank reconciliations preferred.
- Experience supervising support staff personnel preferred.
Open until filled - applications reviewed upon receipt.
Supervise and provide backup for Payroll, Accounts Payable, and General Accounting staff responsible for state, county, and special funds. Provide assistance to the Controller and work with the Supervisor-Accounts Receivable/Sponsorship/Cashiering as needed. Perform various duties that involve independent and responsible judgment in accordance with established procedures associated with county, institutional, and state funds general ledger. Balance and maintain monthly reports and submit to the NC Community College System Office.
Create and maintain procedures for all activities in the Dynamic Policy System, or replacement system, to assure administrative system continuity.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Supervise Payroll, Accounts Payable, and General Accounting staff responsible for state, county, and special funds disbursements and general ledger.
- Assure timely, accurate payments to staff, faculty, students, and vendors.
- Supervise monthly reconciliation of vendor statements to resolve unpaid invoices and credits.
- Cross-train to provide backup for accounts payable and payroll positions. Continually search for, identify, and implement process improvements to improve stakeholder experience, reduce processing time, and improve quality.
- On a monthly basis, balance reports and maintain the general ledger and journal entry input, and preparation of state funds.
- On a monthly basis, prepare State Monthly Cash Flow Certification requests using historical monthly cash flow data to request state funds for payroll and disbursement needs.
- On a weekly and monthly basis, balance state funds, special funds, and county funds bank statements with general ledger. Review and approve daily cash receipts reports. Prepare journal entries for interest-earned service charges and corrections as necessary.
- Maintain the chart of accounts for the Foundation's accounting software, Microsoft Dynamics Great Plains. Approve account codes for invoices of the Foundation prior to admission to Accounts Payable. On a weekly and monthly basis, balance Foundation bank statement and the investment statement to the general ledger. Process monthly Foundation journal entries for investment earnings and all fees. Prepare required monthly financial reports for the Foundation and WSGE Radio Station and submit to the Controller.
- Ensure the College does not overdraw accounts by ensuring bank accounts are reconciled and any discrepancies resolved within thirty (30) business days from the end of the prior month.
- Perform analysis and reconciliation of general ledger accounts as requested.
- Assist auditors by gathering information and source documents as requested.
- Supervise collection of W-9 forms for new vendors. Verify information has correctly been entered in Datatel according to the e-procurement status. Complete the addition of new vendors.
- Collect 1099 reporting data, assuring 1099 vendors are properly identified and amounts paid are correctly stated, and prepare and submit 1099 forms.
- Assist in the year-end closing for Gaston College and Gaston College Foundation. Accurately prepare financial statements and State Treasurer's Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR) worksheets by the August deadline. Complete financial statement footnotes by the September deadline. Assist with drafting the Management Discussion and Analysis (MD&A) narrative before the annual audit.
- Maintain accounting records and provide reports for the Foundation. Prepare reports and analysis for Executive Director and other stakeholders. Coordinate data capture with Foundation staff and Radio Station staff. Provide requested documents to external auditors. Maintain scholarship and endowment schedules.
- Continually search for, identify, and implement process improvements to improve stakeholder experience, reduce processing time, and improve quality.
- Review, maintain, and clean vendor list.
- Manage monthly p-card program to ensure compliance with established rules for use including reporting processes, sending requests for reports to users, and collecting information for reporting. Oversee p-card expense allocation. Update the p-card manual as policies and procedures change.
- Complete the monthly sales and use tax report and file with the North Carolina Department of Revenue.
- Supervise the year-end closing process to assure all blank purchase orders are closed in a timely manner, that the requisition and purchase order workflows are clean, and that any processing issues are resolved.
- Maintain a high standard of professionalism in representing the College including confidentiality in all aspects of the position's responsibilities and adherence to policies, procedures, and other established guidelines. Adhere to professional accountability and accept responsibility for managing situations and problems. Work cooperatively with team members and colleagues, contributing positively and constructively to the achievement of team and College objectives and provide a high level of service to customers by establishing and maintaining effective working relationships and partnerships.
- Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
- Generally works in a traditional climate-controlled office environment and requires the ability to sit for extended periods.
- Some walking, standing, and bending required, and the ability to lift and maneuver items weighing up to 25 pounds.
- Work environment can be stressful at times in dealing with a wide variety of challenges and deadlines.
- In addition to regular office hours, position sometimes requires overtime and/or evening hours.
How to Apply
Job Post Contact