Main Campus, 1247 Jimmie Kerr Rd, Graham, NC
Closes: Friday, June 18, 2021
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
At a minimum, the position requires a high school diploma or G.E.D. certificate. Associate’s or bachelor’s degree in applicable field preferred, with a minimum of 2 years related work experience in security, campus/higher education security and/or law enforcement. Position requires excellent interpersonal and customer service oriented skills. Applicant must be able to work a flexible schedule as needed and have a valid driver’s license. Must hold state certification and be a North Carolina sworn law enforcement officer. This position reports to the Director of Public Safety.
All employees are expected to:
Promote a common purpose consistent with stated College goals and demonstrate a commitment to students and the learning environment.
Possess the knowledge of general written standards and procedures utilized, and have the ability to read, interpret, and follow procedural and policy manual related to the job tasks.
Demonstrate the ability to respond to supervision, guidance and direction in a positive, receptive manner and in accordance with stated policies.
Provide quality customer service by creating a welcoming and supportive environment.
Present a professional image in word, action and attire.
Demonstrate professionalism in dealing with a diverse population while understanding and respecting each other's view of the world, personalities and working styles.
Conduct oneself in a manner consistent with the College's standards of ethical conduct.
Apply effective techniques to create and maintain harmonious working relationships with individuals and in a group environment to achieve common goals; successfully communicate and collaborate with others to achieve goals.
Demonstrate skills necessary to look at situations and processes critically to make recommendations for improvement.
Performs other job-related duties as assigned in support of the College's goals and core values.
Telephones, emergency radios, computer, printer, copier/fax machine, golf carts, patrol car.
Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
Knowledge of Alamance Community College security, safety and emergency procedures as well as other College policies and procedures that requires enforcement by the Public Safety officer.
Knowledge of state and local law enforcement rules and regulations.
Ability to provide excellent customer service to faculty, staff and students.
General administrative office and clerical duties as needed (i.e. photocopies, filing, etc.)
Perform other duties deemed necessary to ensure the safety and security of Alamance Community College campus.
Physical Ability: Tasks require the ability to exert moderate, though not constant physical effort, typically involving some combination of climbing and balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, and crawling, and which may involve some lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling of objects and materials of moderate weight (12-20 pounds).
Sensory Requirements: Some tasks require the ability to perceive and discriminate colors or shades of colors, sounds, odor, depth, texture, and visual cues or signals. Some tasks require the ability to communicate orally.
Environmental Factors: Performance of essential functions may require exposure to adverse environmental conditions, such as dirt, dust, pollen, odors, humidity, rain, temperature extremes, traffic hazards, violence, disease, or pathogenic substances.
Associate degree or higher degree
Excellent analytical, problem solving, and interpersonal skills
Ability to think clearly, analyze situations and perform effectively in stressful or emergency situations
Maintain a high level of confidentiality
Intermediate computer skills, particularly with Microsoft Office products
Demonstrated ability to maintain accurate and complete records, and meet deadlines consistently
Ability to research records and information using internal/external databases
Ability to use sound judgment and good observational skills
Excellent written and verbal communication skills with a working knowledge of grammar, punctuation, and
Ability to perform normal duties with minimal supervision
Preference will be given to candidates with previous security, law enforcement, or other related experience. Also prefer current CPR certification.
PURPOSE OF CLASSIFICATION:
A Public Safety Officer’s main objective is to ensure the safety of all persons and property on the Alamance Community College campus.
EXAMPLE OF DUTIES:ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
The following duties are normal for this position. The omission of specific statements of the duties does not exclude them from the classification if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment for this classification. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Understand and follow all campus security, safety and emergency procedures.
- Maintain familiarity and a positive working relationship with all members of the campus community.
- Maintain a positive working relationship with all members of the campus community.
- Maintain a positive working relationship with all emergency services to include fire, police and rescue.
- Notifies the Director of Public Safety and designated College Administrators of any emergency situations occurring on or near campus.
- Acts as on-the-scene liaison between the College and city/county emergency services
- Review, understand and deliver information pertinent to department daily operations via the daily shift log and shift change briefings.
- Respond to all calls for service, assistance, emergencies and provide escorts
- Responsible for locking and unlocking buildings in a timely manner
- Provide regular and frequent foot patrols of the interior and exterior of campus buildings and monitor all campus grounds and roadways. Make mobile patrols of campus as needed.
- Responsible for completion of all incident reports, daily log entries, and/or any other written information pertaining to events that may occur during the officer’s shift.
- Monitors all campus parking areas and enforces traffic and parking regulations as needed.
- Enforces Alamance Community College policies, regulations and procedures. Assists and participates with judicial hearings as needed.
- Reports security, safety, health and/or fire hazard issues to appropriate personnel.
- Responsible for sending out emergency notifications to the campus community as necessary.
- Will be required to learn all aspects of the Emergency Preparedness Program and having a working knowledge of the responsibilities related to emergency preparedness within the college.
- Assist in the coordination and delivery of emergency related training programs for employees, students and visitors. Training will consist of Federal and State mandated training, such as National Incident Management System (NIMS), Incident Command System (ICS) and Emergency Management Information Systems (EMIS).
- Prepare “after action” reports following emergency related drills and emergency incidents.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Director of Public Safety and/or other designated College Administrators.
How to Apply
An ACC on-line application MUST be fully completed for consideration, which includes a required letter of interest and transcript attachment. Resume attachments are welcome but will not be accepted in lieu of complete application. Transcript MUST be scanned and attached in order to be considered for this position!
APPLICATIONS MAY BE FILED ONLINE AT: