Flat Rock, NC
Closes: Saturday, October 15, 2022
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
The Transfer Coordinator and Student Services Counselor is a member of the Student Services Counseling/Admissions Team. The Transfer Coordinator and Student Services Counselor provides pre-enrollment counseling, admissions, and first semester advising services for prospective students along with other members of the counseling and admissions department and Continuing Education. In addition, this position serves as the department’s primary support person for College Transfer students enrolled at the college.
Why it’s Important
The Blue Ridge team is excited by every opportunity to be creative, innovative, and engaging. We do this by working alongside our Staff and Faculty to ensure we provide a modern, technologically advanced institution for the community. We are here to support our Students to ensure they reach their highest potential. Our team engages with the community to ensure that we are consistently meeting standards and then rising above them. Guiding students along their educational journey is our calling and we are looking for like-minded teammates to help us serve our community. Whether a student is entering the workforce for the first time, entering a new profession, or just expanding their knowledge, we are here to provide the necessary tools to accomplish all their goals. Working together, no elevation is too high, and no summit is unreachable.
What You'll be Doing
- Provide assistance to prospective students who are contacting the college either in person or by phone, mail, or electronic communication.
- Share in general departmental admissions duty and counseling responsibilities.
- Serve as the primary contact for prospective students in caseload programs, such as College Transfer.
- Serve as first semester advisor for College Transfer and other caseload students
- Function as a team member within the intake team as well as the Student Services Division
- Develop and maintain good working relationships with college and university admissions personnel, and serve as the primary contact for their inquiries related to Transfer programs and potential transfer students from BRCC. Develop innovative transfer pathways and understanding of the university transfer system. Encourage and facilitate visits by representatives of senior institutions to BRCC, including hosting transfer fairs for students on all campuses
- Assist transfer students in their preparations to transition to their next institution. Develop innovative ways to inform students of transfer opportunities and encourage them to take advantage of assistance available through the Division for Student Services.
- Work closely with college transfer and engineering faculty to keep current with advising guidelines and provide transfer information to students.
- Promote 2+2 programs and Guaranteed Admission transfer pathways
- Provide follow-up response for Early Intervention process with caseload students and/or faculty/staff.
- Conduct transfer credit evaluations for students on caseload.
- Conduct academic probation conferences as needed.
- Provide Academic, Career, Personal, and/or Crisis Counseling to students at the Henderson County Campus, Transylvania County Campus, and the Health Science Center.
- Coordinate with internal and external agencies to offer basic needs support for students.
- Serve as Counseling Services unit assessment and budget manager.
- Insure compliance and confidentiality with all policies and procedures of the College, NC Community College System, and applicable State and Federal agencies.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned by supervisor.
If you are interested in learning more about this position, please copy and paste the following link into your browser to apply directly on our website.
Master’s degree preferred, in Education, Counseling, or a related area. Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC) preferred.
Skills and the Know-How
Strong personal and professional integrity, excellent verbal and written communication skills, and a commitment to safety. A positive attitude with a real enjoyment of the challenge of working toward positive outcomes for the prospective student, the admissions team and the College. Proficiency using Microsoft Office Suite or similar products, Database systems, Content Management Systems (CMS), College email and website, web-based computer applications associated with the position. Knowledge of budget preparation, monitoring and administration.
- Working knowledge of the NC Comprehensive Articulation Agreement and the Independent (Colleges) Comprehensive Articulation Agreement (ICAA);
- Working knowledge of both state and federal rules and regulations governing the admission of international students to post-secondary educational institutions;
- Strong personal and professional integrity, good verbal and written communication skills, and a commitment to safety.
- Ability to multi-task to meet the demands of walk-in students or incoming calls;
- Interpersonal skills necessary to work with a diverse population of current/prospective students, co-workers, or outside agencies;
- A student-centered customer service attitude is required;
- Implementation of various Microsoft Office programs such as Word, Excel, or PowerPoint to set-up spreadsheets, send letters, or design presentations to assist in daily job functions.
- Utilize and maintain voice mail and email for better communication with others.
- Maintain a flexible schedule which may include some evenings and travel
- A positive attitude with a real enjoyment of the challenge of working toward positive outcomes for both prospective and current students, the Counseling Team, The Student Service Division, and the College.
The ability to perform all duties associated with the position including, but not limited to lifting, prolonged standing, sitting, bending, stooping, and operating or performing work with associated tools and machines.
Blue Ridge is an Equal Employment Opportunity Institution
How to Apply
Job Post Contact