See job description
- Instructional (Faculty)
Closes: Friday, October 16, 2020
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
- Bachelor's degree required in education, teaching content area, or related field.
- A minimum of one (1) years of related work experience;
- Experience teaching high school students;
- Experience teaching in Lee or Harnett County Schools;
- Experience working with low-income or first generation students in an educational setting.
- Master's degree;
- Experience managing or operating a tutoring program;
- Experience working in a TRIO program or other similar program for disadvantaged students;
- Personal experience overcoming academic, cultural, financial, or other obstacles similar to those faced by low-income or first-generation students participating in the Upward Bound program.
At Central Carolina Community College, we create transformative lifelong learning opportunities! We expect all employees to find ways to remove barriers to student success and provide all students a pathway to achievable dreams. Our employees are charged to recognize the challenges we face and to respond to them with empathy, understanding, and a willingness to help.
Tutors with the TRiO Upward Bound programs will be responsible for coordinating an afterschool tutoring lab and providing twice-weekly individual and group tutoring sessions for high school students in the target school districts with the goal of increasing students' grades in core classes.
Locations include: Harnett Central HS, Western Harnett HS, Southern Lee HS, Lee County HS, Lee Main Campus
Work schedule is 2 days a week: Monday to Thursday 2:30 to 4:30 or 3 to 5.
- Coordinate a twice-weekly tutoring lab at one of the Upward Bound target high schools.
- Participate in tutor training and other sessions as required by Upward Bound staff.
- Provide individual and group tutorial support for students.
- Utilize classroom Chromebooks to assist students in accessing and utilizing tutor.com, as needed.
- Assist students with the learning of test taking strategies, study methods, and academic skills reinforcement.
- Establish and cultivate an atmosphere conductive to learning and retention of information.
- Utilize positive reinforcement and encourage the academic confidence of participants.
- Inform students of tutoring session logistics.
- Coordinate all facilities reservations for weekly tutoring session.
- Maintain accurate student records in a timely and confidential manner.
- Communicate student discipline issues and other areas requiring attention to Upward Bound staff.
- Tutors are encouraged to attend other Upward Bound functions including awards nights, Saturday Sessions, and field trips. Additional compensation will be available for additional work with the Upward Bound Programs.
- Other duties as assigned.