Closes: Friday, September 22, 2023
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
Required educational background:
- Associate degree required in Education, Social Science, Counseling, Humanities, Business, or related field and a minimum of one (1) year of related work experience is required or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Required kind and number years of work experience:
- One year of related work experience or equivalent combination of work experience and education
Required knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Knowledge of the military/veteran student experience in higher education and local resources for veterans;
- Excellent organizational skills;
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Ability to represent the program well and conduct public speaking engagements;
- Strong computer skills;
- The ability to work with persons of diverse populations and backgrounds
- Military experience or veteran status;
- One or more years of experience supporting operations of an office, school, or organization;
- One or more years of experience working in a TRIO program or other similar program for disadvantaged students;
At Central Carolina Community College, we create transformative lifelong learning opportunities! We expect all employees to find ways to remove barriers to student success and provide all students a pathway to achievable dreams. Our employees are charged to recognize the challenges we face and to respond to them with empathy, understanding, and a willingness to help.
The Veterans Upward Bound (VUB) TRiO Program at CCCC serves 125 veterans annually from Chatham, Harnett, Johnston, Lee, and Wake Counties. The program is designed to motivate and assist veterans in the development of academic and other requisite skills necessary for acceptance and success in a program of postsecondary education. It provides assessment and enhancement of basic skills through counseling, mentoring, tutoring and academic instruction in the core subject areas. The primary goal of the program is to increase the rate at which participants enroll in and complete postsecondary education programs.
The VUB Part-time Program Coordinator provides clerical and programmatic support for Veterans Upward Bound. This includes providing support to program participants within the five-county service area (Chatham, Harnett, Johnston, Lee, and Wake). This position will have a flexible, 25 hours per week schedule requiring the occasional visit to multiple locations, and occasional weekend and evening availability.
Diversity Policy: Central Carolina Community College believes the college experience is greatly enriched through diversity; therefore, the college encourages diversity of thought within the student body and staff. Furthermore, the college seeks to promote awareness of diversity and the respect for all individuals, and the college pledges to adhere to this mission in its relationship with the community.
Administrative Support (40%)
- Oversee office management;
- Maintain accurate and timely records for participants served in Blumen and on paper including but not limited to application, verification of eligibility, documentation of participation and academic progress, services, and documentation postsecondary enrollment
- Maintain data tracking for participants of current and previous fiscal years
- Meet regularly with Director to discuss administrative reports
- Assist with APR Reports in conjunction with other VUB staff
Budget Support (10%)
- Assist program staff in administering budgets (maintain documentation of expenditures, create requisitions, p-card documentation and reports etc.);
Programmatic Support (50%)
- Assist in planning large-scale events and programs, including new student orientations, community outreach, cultural immersion excursions, and annual banquets;
- Assist with mass communication to participants and maintaining social media accounts
- Maintain a caseload of participants providing one-on-one services at a minimum of quarterly
- Travel to other CCCC campuses, Wake Tech, and JCC as needed for recruitment and special events
- Engage with other staff members to provide formative assessment and continuous improvement of program delivery;
- Engage with community organizations and nonprofits that can provide benefits or services for the veterans in our program.
College Responsibilities/General Guidelines
- Complete the annual five-hour staff development requirement.
- Follow and support College activities, policies, and procedures.
- Serve on College committees as assigned.
- Occasional travel for professional development required.
- Some weekends/evenings required.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Recognizing and respecting the variety of experiences and contributions represented by all of our students, employees, and community, the Veterans Upward Bound Program Coordinator will encourage a learning environment where everyone is supported and valued for their unique perspectives and experiences, and will foster and promote the participation of all members of our diverse communities.