Closes: Friday, August 21, 2020
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
- High School diploma or higher and
- Six months to one-year animal care experience.
Required skills, knowledge, and abilities:
- Attention to detail
- Strong work ethic and reliability
- Intermediate to Expert level ability of Microsoft Office computer applications
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Demonstration of flexibility and positive demeanor in the face of change
- Ability to interact professionally with students, supervisors, and veterinarians.
- Experience using a digital patient medical record system
- Experience using Blackboard.
The colony animals housed at Central Carolina Community College’s Veterinary Medical Technology program are pivotal to providing the quality education that creates qualified, highly skilled veterinary technicians. Due to the importance of these animals, and the amount of care they require, kennel assistants are hired, to assist faculty, staff, and students with animal care duties and special projects.
This is a part-time temporary position working no more than 29 hours per week.
Assist the VMT Animal Facilities Manager, attending VMT veterinarians, and VMT students with, but not limited to:
- Daily check-in with supervisor to see if there are any tasks to be completed
- Perform daily walk-through inspections using the SOP checklist
- Verify any daily colony animal medication administrations as prescribed by the supervisor or attending veterinarians
- Manage the kennel phone for student contact
- Report any animal health or behavior concerns to the AFM and attending veterinarians
- Perform weekly to monthly animal facilities task as per SOP’s
- Maintain cleanliness in all areas of the facility to USDA standards
- Provide coverage for animal care shifts involving absent students, holidays, student breaks, college closure dates and inclement weather
- Under the direction of the supervisor or attending veternarian, administer monthly flea, tick, and heartworm preventatives to colony animals
- Assist the supervisor or attending veterinarians in new animal processing tasks (vaccines, fecal floats, microchips, etc.)
- Perform student training of required animal care duties including:
- Kennel Duty
- Cat ward duty
- Lab animal duty
- Assist with monthly inventory of medications, supplies etc. to cull expired items and to determine medications, supplies etc. to re-order
- Rotate stock and alerting the supervisor with regards to food, litter, and bedding orders
- Compile monthly colony animal status reports for the supervisor
- Facilitate colony animal adoptions
- Conduct application reviews and phone screening of adoption applications
- Meet potential adopters for Cougar Pets “Meet and Greet” sessions
- Aid in maintenance of the colony animal Facebook and website pages (www.cougarpets.org)
- Serve as a resource and point of contact for students.
- Follow and support College activities, policies, procedures, and philosophies.
- Other duties as assigned.