Shelby, North Carolina
Closes: Friday, March 1, 2019
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
1. Master’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university in Business Administration, Accounting, Finance, or related field required.
2. A minimum of six years of progressively responsible experience in business operations, accounting, finance or related field, preferably in an institution of higher education.
3. Working knowledge of the North Carolina Community College System
4. Experience in planning and budgeting at the organizational level, particularly in higher education.
5. Demonstrated experience in addressing and developing complex institutional budgetary priorities and needs.
6. Proficient in accounting, statistical analysis, revenue forecasting, financial modeling, project modeling and business plan development.
7. Proficient in basic business related software, network, telecommunications and desktop tools.
8. Ability to develop and interpret reports, policies and forms, analyze problems and recommend solutions.
9. Ability to develop effective working relationships and establish strong communication with the departments across the institution.
10. Experience with developing and negotiating contracts.
Skills and Abilities
1. Proven effective management and supervisory skills.
2. Ability to work effectively and collegially with others.
3. Skill in the use of computers and commitment to use of technology.
4. Experience with current version of MS Office or similar programs
5. Excellent oral and written communication skills
6. Provide exceptional customer service with people internal and external to the institution.
7. Familiarity with and appreciation for the mission of a comprehensive community college.
8. Effectiveness in the following College organizational competencies:
- Translating College purpose, values, and vision into organizational action
- Collaborating and facilitating
- Creating and innovating
- Anticipating and responding to change
- Providing vision and leadership
9. Flexible and adapts to change
10. Ability to multi-task with multiple departments and activities of others.
11. Expertise in technology applications for accounting, budgeting and reporting.
12. Excellent organizational and analytical skills.
13. Strong leadership and management skills.
14. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationship with the College community.
15. Must be able to work well under pressure, meet deadlines and manage competing priorities.
Doctoral degree and CPA preferred
Position serves as the chief financial officer of the college and is responsible for planning, managing, and directing the financial operations of the college; including budget, accounting, insurances, purchasing, vending, and bookstore. This position is responsible for advising the President and the President’s Cabinet regularly about the status of the college’s budget and regulations governing the allocation and expenditure of funds.
1. Coordinate the preparation of the College budgets with the President and other personnel.
2. Direct the management of all financial reports, analyses, and internal control procedures.
3. Direct and review the management of the operations and maintenance of the buildings and grounds; work with President in facility planning and construction.
4. Direct the management of purchasing.
5. Ensure compliance with financial reporting requirements for state, federal, and local entities; as well as, state statues, federal and local laws, and institutional policies/procedures.
6. Manage the College’s investments.
7. Secure adequate insurance for College properties and secure liability insurance for the public, Board of Trustees, faculty and staff.
8. Serve as a member of the President’s Cabinet, Administrative Council, and other appropriate committees.
9. Present budgets and financial reports to the Board of Trustees.
10. Work with budgetary units and the administrative team to make budget adjustments and reclassifications as needed. Provide monthly budget reports and explain budget balances.
11. Assist the President in formulating business policies to recommend to the Board of Trustees.
12. Direct, review, and maintain college contracts, licenses, and permits.
13. Coordinate with Administrative units to ensure fiscal responsibility for all grants.
14. Ensure coordination of audit activities with state auditors in the completion of annual fiscal year audit.
15. Coordinate the request/purchase of equipment, supplies, and properties for the College, in collaboration with the administrative team and the President.
16. Handle and/or respond all financial request from the NCCCS Office, including surveys.
17. Approve payroll on a monthly basis.
18. Prepare and submit the yearly longevity report to the NCCCS.
19. Prepare and submit the annual IPEDS report as related to Finance.
20. Compile the necessary information needed to complete the financial reports for fiscal year end; including CAFR, financial statements, and closing the year in Colleague—with the assistance of the Controller.
21. Ensure compliance with records retention and disposal.
22. Ensure that the daily operations/functions of the Business Office are efficient, accurate, and timely.
23. Ensure that Business Office employee job descriptions are kept up-to-date.
24. Assist other departments as necessary with partnerships between the College and other agencies.
25. Assist Financial Aid as needed with Federal and State calculations and fund balances with assistance from the Controller.
26. Assist Financial Aid with the preparation of the annual FISAP report.
27. Make recommendations to the President concerning the employment of Business Office and Physical Services personnel; select, motivate, supervise, and evaluate staff; provide work direction and guidance to assigned staff; establish and monitor employee performance; provide or coordinate staff training; work with employees to correct deficiencies; and implement development plans or disciplinary procedures, as needed.
28. Performs other duties as assigned and other related duties incident to the work described herein.
Job Post Contact