Vice President for Student Development
Rockingham Community College
215 Wrenn Memorial Road
Wentworth, NC 27375
Commensurate with experience
Opens: Friday, November 18, 2022
Closes: Tuesday, August 1, 2023
Closes: Tuesday, August 1, 2023
Target Start Date
Tuesday, August 1, 2023
Expected Work Hours
M-Th 8 am-5 pm, F 8 am-3pm; may vary depending on department needs
President of the College
Master’s degree in education, higher education administration, student development, counseling, or other closely related field.
- Five year’s progressive experience in higher education leadership to include extensive knowledge and experience with students and/or student development issues.
- Evidence of strong communications, interpersonal, organizational, and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work well with students, faculty, and administration.
- Demonstrated philosophical commitment to a student-centered community college environment and the ability to articulate student development concepts to the campus.
- Doctoral degree in higher education administration, student development, counseling, or other closely related field.
- Experience in a community college setting.
- Experience as a practitioner in at least two of the areas supervised.
The Vice President for Student Development reports to the President and is responsible for the general organization, implementation, and evaluation of the college’s student development programs and services. The Vice President oversees a division of eleven program/service units and serves as the college’s chief student affairs officer.
- Design, direct, and evaluate the program and service areas within the division, including enrollment services, records, academic advising, accessibility services, counseling services, financial aid and veterans’ affairs, student life and athletics, the library, testing services, career development services, and the federally-funded TRiO/Student Support Services program. Supervise the directors of each of these program/service areas.
- Oversee the operating budget assigned to the division.
- Recommend for employment, supervise, and evaluate all personnel in the division.
- Establish direction with division staff to implement programs, services, and activities that provide a meaningful educational experience for students in support of the college’s mission.
- Oversee the coordination of services and compliance with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and Title II of the Americans with Disability Act of 1990 for students.
- Oversee and administer the procedures and maintenance of records pertaining to student grievances, reports of violations of the RCC Academic Integrity Policy, and student grade appeals.
- Review and adjudicate student disciplinary issues according to college procedures.
- Work with Campus Security staff on specified incidents or issues involving RCC students.
- Oversee and administer the procedures for specific student awards and recognitions that occur during the annual cycles of each year.
- Work collaboratively with the Director of Student Life & Athletics to plan and implement the college’s annual Student Awards Ceremony.
- Work collaboratively with the Director of Student Life & Athletics to ensure the college’s compliance with NJCAA requirements and an efficient operation of the athletics program.
- Serve as a member of the President’s Executive Staff and President’s Cabinet.
- Advise the President on all matters regarding students, student services, and student development.
- With the other Vice Presidents, coordinate the inter-divisional functions of the college to ensure an effective and efficient college operation.
- Coordinate the process by which revisions to the RCC Catalog & Student Handbook are prepared and submitted in the review process.
- Assist the President with the orientation of new trustees.
- Prepare appropriate agenda and information items for Board of Trustees meetings and attend all Board meetings as requested by the President.
- Work collaboratively with the faculty and staff from other areas of the college to address student issues or concerns.
- Supervise the specific college standing committees assigned to the Vice President and fulfill division staff appointments to committees annually or when needs arise.
- Preside at regular meetings of student development directors.
- Represent the Student Development division to the college and to the external community.
- When requested, represent the President and/or the President’s Office to the college and to the external community.
- Review and, when needed, recommend revisions to the RCC Policy Manual, particularly with regard to student-related issues.
- Work collaboratively with leadership of other program and service units of the college on a variety of issues and needs (such as with Academic Affairs, Administrative Services, Facilities, Technology, and Institutional Effectiveness).
- Contribute to and participate in all activities related to accreditation (including substantive change reports and visits, fifth-year report, and decennial report and visits).
- Contribute to and evaluate Outcomes by the Administrative Support Planning Units within the division.
- Provide planning and leadership for specific functions pertaining to Commencement and other recognition ceremonies.
- Participate in various college ceremonies when requested.
- Maintain an active presence in the Rockingham County community, to include membership in a civic organization.
- Process monthly and periodic leave reports and leave requests from division staff.
- Complete admissions reference forms on a periodic basis when requested by students transferring to other colleges and universities.
- Participate in the college’s strategic planning process.
- Utilize relevant data from institutional research to inform decisions, identify trends, and support new initiatives.
- Oversee the physical condition of the Student Center and communicate with maintenance personnel when specific needs arise.
- Serve as an advocate for students.
- Direct other projects and perform additional tasks as requested by the President.
How to Apply
To be considered for this position, please complete an online application at https://www.schooljobs.com/careers/rockinghamcc.